If I were given a chance to date an author (and a ‘date’ could be anything, like lunch or brunch or dinner or tea or drinks or just plain talking while sitting on a bench in a park, reminiscing), it would be this Top 10 list:
(1) ANNE RICE, so we could talk about how she became a gay icon;
(2) CHRISTOPHER RICE, so I could ask him how he feels about being the gay writer son of a gay writer icon;
(3) MAYA ANGELOU, so I could ask her what heaven is like;
(4) DAVID FOSTER WALLACE, so I could ask him if he felt the same way I am feeling right now just before he did IT;
(5) FRANZ KAFKA, so I could kiss his hand for being brilliant;
(6) MICHAEL CUNNINGHAM, so I could tell him to adopt me;
(7) ARMISTEAD MAUPIN, so I could do a silly dance in front of him, while I shower him with petals;
(8) ALAIN DE BOTTON, so I could scrutinise how the mind works inside that shiny head;
(9) JOSE RIZAL AND NICK JOAQUIN AT THE SAME TIME, so I could ask them to rise from the dead and inspire everyone again; and
(10) DANIEL WITTHAUS AND ALICE MUNRO AT THE SAME TIME, so I could give him a bear hug and she could go and tell me to ‘Go jump’ or ‘In your dreams’ in the most subtle way. And then they both sit down for tea.
What about you? WHICH AUTHOR WOULD YOU WANT/LIKE TO DATE AND WHY?